Action Button: If you pick up an Apple iPhone 15 Pro or Pro Max, you’ll notice that there’s one thing missing: a sound switch. This has been an integral part of the Apple iPhone since the beginning, but the 15 Pro models replaced it with a new button called the Action Button.
This button, akin to the one found on the Apple Watch Ultra series, is a game-changer. It’s not just a replacement for the sound switch; it’s a customizable key to a world of possibilities. The Action Button empowers users to tailor its function to their preferences, transforming their iPhone experience.
Apple iPhone 15 Pro Action Button
The first thing you need to know is how the action button works.
To perform any action you assign to a button, you must long press it; a normal short press will simply confirm your settings. By default, it is designed to mute and unmute the ringer sound, just like the sound switch earlier. So you can use it like this:
- A long press mutes the device; you will receive a clear tactile signal with three pulses.
- Short press to confirm that the phone is switched off; an icon will appear on the dynamic island.
- A long press again mutes the call. You will feel one tactile impulse.
If you like the mute feature, you can leave it alone. Or you can go into the settings and have a little fun. Go to Settings > Action Button, and you will see many options. In addition to silent mode, there is:
- Focus: Select any focus mode; The default mode is Do Not Disturb;
- Camera: By default, it switches to standard photo mode. Other options include selfie, video, portrait, and portrait selfie;
- Voice reminder;
- Universal access;
- Visual perception: classic inversion, color filters, detection mode, contrast increase, motion decrease, transparency decrease, white point decrease, intelligent inversion, voice-over, zoom;
- Motion: Switch Control, Voice Control, Full Keyboard Access, Assistive Touch, Apple Watch Mirroring, Control of Nearby Devices;
- Listening: background sounds, left/right balance, real-time subtitles;
- General: Guided access, direct speech;
- No action.
These are the basics, and they already provide many possibilities. But you can configure the button to activate the shortcut.
Let’s say you’re a fan of a certain fall drink from your favorite coffee chain. You can use it as a template for any other shortcut and application.
- Download and install the desired application. In this case, Starbucks.
- Open the application “Teams» and tap the plus icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click Add action and then select the Applications tab on the next screen.
- Select the Starbucks app (or any other app).
- Click Place an order at Starbucks.
- Click Order on the next screen to select the item to order. You need to specify whether it should prompt you every time, or you can select a specific item from recent orders. Click Ready to save the setting.
- Go to Settings > Action Button and select team.
- Click to select a team and the new shortcut will be listed under My commands.
In a world where technology constantly evolves, the Action Button stands as a testament to Apple’s commitment to enhancing the user experience. It’s not merely a button; it’s a gateway to a world of possibilities tailored to your preferences. With the Action Button, Apple empowers users to make their iPhones truly their own. So, whether you embrace its default functions or embark on a journey of customization, the Action Button is your passport to an even smarter, more efficient iPhone experience.