In this article, we will tell you why Telegram is not the best messenger. We will also tell you how to temporarily deactivate or permanently delete your Telegram account on iPhone and iPad. The instructions are the same for Android, Mac, PC, and Web, but the steps may vary slightly.
Why Telegram is not for you
Table of Contents
1. Messenger is not secure
Many people believe that Telegram is the most secure messenger, but it is not. WhatsApp and Signal use full encryption. This means that your messages are only available to you and your recipients.
In Telegram, only “secret chats” are fully encrypted, while regular and group chats are only partially encrypted. Messages are not encrypted on Telegram servers, so they are technically available to the messenger itself. When sending messages to and from the server, everything is encrypted.
2. Few people use Telegram
If few of your friends and relatives use Telegram, then it makes no sense for you to have an account in it.
3. Illegal activity
Telegram has channels and groups with illegal films, books, magazines, auctions, pornography, etc. Of course, if you do not look for them purposefully, you have nothing to worry about. If you’re worried that your child might be using your account to access these channels, it’s best to delete it altogether.
Advertising will appear on Telegram soon. If this situation does not suit you, you can stop using the platform.
5. You want to switch to another messenger
The App Store and Google Play Store have many messengers for different platforms. If you want to switch to another messenger, it is better to delete your Telegram account.
How to remove your contacts, card details, and address from Telegram servers
- Open the Telegram app on your iPhone and select the “Settings” tab at the bottom.
- Select the item “Privacy”.
- Select ” Data Management “ at the bottom.
- Here you can “Delete imported contacts” and “Delete billing data”. You can also delete drafts and turn off “Hint People When Searching”. The latter will delete data about contacts with whom you corresponded most often, as well as about your bots.
How to delete all chats in Telegram
You cannot delete all chats at once in Telegram. You need to click the “Edit” button in the upper left corner of the screen, mark all your chats, and then click “Delete”.
If you delete your Telegram account, it will automatically delete all your chats.
How to clear Telegram cache
To free up memory on your device, you can clear the cache of the Telegram app. In the app , go to Settings > Data & Memory > Memory Usage > Clear Telegram Cache . Here you can also choose the storage period for files and set the maximum cache size.
How to log out of Telegram account on iPhone
You can add up to three accounts with different phone numbers to the Telegram app. To do this, on the settings screen, just click “Edit” in the upper right corner of the screen and select “Add account”. If you need to log out of your account, here’s how to do it:
- Open the Telegram app and select the “Settings” tab.
- In the upper right corner, click “Edit”.
- Here click “Exit”.
To log out of your Telegram account in the program on your computer or the Telegram website, open the application on your smartphone. Go to Settings > Devices and click End Other Sessions. You can also select one of the active sessions and end only that one.
If you don’t have access to your smartphone, open the Telegram app on your Mac, select Settings > Edit > Sign Out from the menu. If you remove the program from your Mac and install it again, you will have to log in again.
In the program on the PC or the Telegram website, click the menu icon in the form of three bars> “Settings” > the icon in the form of three dots > “Sign out”. If you clear your browser data, your Telegram account will also be reset.
How to deactivate a Telegram account temporarily
In Telegram, you cannot temporarily deactivate an account. If you need a break, you can only delete your account or simply delete the Telegram app from your smartphone. Deleting your account will also delete all your messages.
To be less distracted by the messenger, you can turn off notifications from chats and channels. This is done through the Settings app > Notifications. The Telegram application can also be hidden from the home screen.
What are the consequences of deleting a Telegram account?
- You will lose all your correspondence, unsaved media, channels, groups, etc.
- You will not be able to restore chats, media, channels, and groups. Each channel will need to be re-joined manually.
- You will be removed from Telegram channels and groups created by you. Other administrators will be able to continue managing them. If you were the only administrator, then a random member of the group will become the new one.
- After deleting your Telegram account, you can create a new one in the future using the same phone number. However, this option will not be available for a few days.
How to export Telegram chats before deleting
You can export Telegram chats only through the messenger program on your computer. To do this, click the menu icon in the form of three bars, select “Settings”, and then “Advanced settings”. There is an option here “Export data from Telegram “.
How to set up automatic deletion of a Telegram account
By default, your account will be automatically deleted if you are not online for 6 months. You can change the terms to 1 month, 3 months, or 12 months.
- In the Telegram app, go to Settings > Privacy.
- Select “If I don’t log in” and a new deadline.
You can set up automatic account deletion in the program on Mac, but not through the Telegram web interface.
How to permanently delete a Telegram account
- Access my.telegram.org using any browser on your iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, or PC.
- Enter your phone number.
- An authorization code will appear in the Telegram application. Enter it on the site and click Sign In.
- Here click Delete account and confirm the action.
You just permanently deleted your Telegram account.