In this guide, we will explain how to schedule dark mode in Windows 11. We will cover both manual methods and third-party applications that can automate the process. Additionally, we will address common problems and provide troubleshooting tips. Let’s get straight to the point
How to manually schedule dark Mode in Windows 11?
- Click the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Type “task scheduler” and open the top result.
3. Click on “Action” in the menu and select “Create a task…
4. Enter a name for your task in the “Name” field, for example, “switch_dark_theme.”.
5. Set the switch to “Run only when user is logged on or not logged on” and check the box for “Don’t save password.
6. Go to the “Triggers” tab and click on “New”.
7. Select “Scheduled” in the drop-down list “Start task ” and select the option “Daily ” In the chapter “Settings “. Set the time from which you want to start dark mode and click OK to apply the changes. Additionally, set the option “Repeat every” How 1 day to repeat the task every day.
8. Go to the “Actions “Tab and select “New“.
9.Enter “reg” in the “Program/script” field, then enter the following in the “Add arguments” field: `
add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize /v AppsUseLightTheme /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f`
Repeat the above steps, but this time, use the following command: `
add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize /v SystemUsesLightTheme /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f`
11. Go to “Settings » and check the boxes as shown in the figure below.
12. Go to the tab Conditions and uncheck “Run the task only if the computer is connected to an AC network power” and then press OK.
13. You will find the name of the newly created task in the library list planner tasks.
14. Right-click on the new task and select Execute to run the task.
You can follow the above steps without using any third-party app to schedule dark mode on your Windows 11 computer.
Windows Task Scheduler is a built-in application that helps you automate tasks on a fixed schedule. Using the task scheduler, you can also schedule a light theme on the computer and for the user’s clock.
Using third-party apps for dark mode in Windows 11
- Download the program on Windows 11
- Open the menu Start by pressing the key Win.
- Launch the Microsoft Store.
- Search for Auto Dark Mode and open the top result.
- Install the Auto Dark Mode application by clicking the Install button.
Auto Dark Mode is a third-party application for Windows 11 that will help you set a dark theme on your PC from dusk to dawn or at specific times. After completing the steps described above, you can safely download the application. Now let’s learn how you can use the Auto Dark Mode app to set dark and light themes.
- Using the Windows 11 app
You can configure various settings in the application. Let’s look at them in order.
2.1 Setting the operating time of the mode
- Go to the tab Time on the left side of the panel, where you can set the timer.
- Disabled — disable mode switching.
- Set custom clock – Select this option to set a custom start time to automatically launch light or dark themes.
- From sunset to sunrise – Select this option to switch modes based on sunset/sunrise times for your location. The application will automatically receive location data from the system and use it to change themes.
- From sunset to sunrise (geographic coordinates) – this is the same option as above but with a difference. You must manually enter the longitude and latitude of the location.
- Follow Windows Night Lighting — select this option to monitor the time when the system’s night lighting mode is turned on.
2.2 Changing switching conditions
Click on the option Switch Modes (Mode Switching) on the left panel and you will see the following options.
- Conditions — Select this option to prevent mode switching during games or when the system is busy. You will receive a notification before the app changes the theme.
- Battery-powered device – You can choose whether to enable the dark theme only when the device is not connected to the network.
- Hotkeys — this option sets hotkeys to enable light or dark mode.
2.3 Other settings
On the left side of the panel, click on the item Applications. It will be possible to configure applications with light or dark themes or adapt them to system settings. In the chapter Personalization, You can set a custom desktop wallpaper or desktop theme.
What to do if Windows 11 dark mode does not work as scheduled?
- Restart File Explorer
- Click the buttons Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Select Windows Explorer and press the button Restart task.
- Reapply and reboot PC
- Press the keys Win+Ito open the menu Settings.
- In the left panel, click on the item Personalization.
- Click on the menu Colors.
- In the Mode selection section, select Light.
- Restart your PC.
- Repeat all steps, and in step 5 instead of Light select Dark.
- Other solutions
Below are other effective solutions to help solve the problem:
- Try using a different account.
- Fix corrupted system files.
- Remove downloaded third-party themes.