The MacBook Pro M2 was launched , and with it, the company also launched its first 35W dual USB-C power adapters, unveiled a couple of weeks ago during the WWDC 2022 keynote . Whether you’re shopping for a compatible Mac or just want Apple’s dual USB-C power adapter, here are some details you should know.
On the support page, Apple posted information on how to use the 35W Dual USB-C power adapter. The information gives a good idea of how useful this power adapter is when charging an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or even a Mac.
It’s important to note that the company is releasing two models of the 35W USB-C power adapter: a regular version that looks like a MacBook adapter, and a compact version as shown above.
Apple explains that when two devices are connected, “electricity is automatically distributed between them based on their power requirements. For most devices, power is evenly distributed when you have two devices charging at the same time.”
Tips for the 35W dual USB-C power adapter
Apple gives three examples of how a 35W dual USB-C power adapter will work with some of its products:
- If you connect a Mac laptop and an iPhone or iPad, each device gets up to 17.5 watts;
- If you connect an iPhone and iPad, each device gets up to 17.5 watts;
- If you connect a Mac laptop or iPhone and an Apple Watch or AirPods, the Mac laptop or iPhone gets up to 27.5W and the Apple Watch or AirPods gets up to 7.5W.
While Apple reveals that the new iPhones charge quickly with a 20W power adapter, it’s important to note that they also charge faster with a 17.5W charger.
If the adapter runs into problems, here are some tips to help you charge your device faster with a 35W USB-C power adapter:
- Try charging one device to get the most power from the power adapter.
- If you are only charging one device, unplug any unused cable from the charger.
- Try a different charging cable, preferably the one that came with your device.
- Make sure your devices don’t require more than 35W, which is the maximum amount of power the power adapter can provide.
- If the device is still not charging, the device may not meet the latest USB PD specifications.
The 35W Dual USB-C Power Adapter is available now in the US and other countries from the Apple Online Store for €65 or $59.