With the latest software update, you can use the Shortcuts app to create new and unique icons for the apps on your iPhone.
The latest iOS update is particularly interesting thanks to two new features that allow you to customize your home screen like never before. On the one hand, we have the widgets, with which you can have information about the Today display at a glance.
Savvy iOS users will have realized that there is another way to make your interface unique. With iOS 14, it is possible to change the icon of the apps you have installed and the results are spectacular (just take a look at Twitter).
If you think that setting a beautiful wallpaper and adding widgets to your Home screens is not enough, don’t miss this tutorial in which we will guide you, step by step, through the process of customizing your own app icons on your iPhone with iOS 14.
How to customize app icons in iOS 14
We can no longer like the idea of being able to change the icon of the apps installed on our iPhone or iPad, as it is possible in both iOS 14 and iPadOS 14. However, there are certain limitations that any user should be aware of.
The main one is that, when you touch the new icon, the app itself will not open. Or at least not initially. Tapping will open the Shortcuts app, which then lets you open the app in question automatically. It won’t take more than a few seconds, but it’s not as straightforward as opening an app.
The other big downside is that custom icons don’t appear in notifications, so you may miss an important message. But if you think you can get through all of this, go ahead.
You will have to follow these steps:
1. Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap on the ‘+’ icon in the upper right corner to add a new shortcut.
3. Then, tap on ‘Add action’.
4. Search for ‘Open app’ in the search bar and select the option to add it as an action to your new shortcut.
5. Click on ‘Select’.
6. Find and select the app you want to change the icon for.
7. All in the icon with three dots in the upper right corner.
8. Tap on ‘Add to Home Screen’.
9. Tap on the default app icon and look for the new icon you want to replace it with, whether it’s in your Photos app or in Files.
10. Change the name of the shortcut to the name of the app in question.
11. Tap on ‘Add’ in the upper right corner.
12. Give the shortcut a name and tap ‘Done’ to save your changes.
Now you can return to the home screen and check that the new app icon actually appears, ready for you to use it.