Google claims the Chrome browser is fast and economical. Then why is it using so much memory on so many users and draining power so quickly on Mac and Window?
It’s no secret that battery consumption is one of the main browser problems. While Chrome is regularly updated with new features, it still continues to drain a lot of power on the Mac.
In May 2020, Google promised to improve battery life for Macs by blocking costly ads in the browser. We were promised a more optimized and stable version this year. In the meantime, the company is working on it, we will tell you how you can speed up the Chrome browser and make it more economical on your own.
Why is Chrome draining your battery?
Chrome browser uses a lot of RAM for fast performance. Watching YouTube videos, using multiple tabs and extensions is a drain on your battery. Because of the speed, you have to sacrifice charging.
So why exactly can Chrome be slow? There are several reasons:
- Continuous background data exchange.
- Active tabs.
- Extensions you might not even know about.
- Other programs that consume RAM.
- Chrome works too long after launch.
Fortunately, there are several ways to fix this problem.
A quick tip: CleanMyMac X, the popular Mac optimization software, has a tool to automatically clean up your RAM. It will help when the browser runs out of memory. The program can be downloaded for free to disable unnecessary background tasks in macOS. you can use CleanMyPC for Window PC
How to speed up your Chrome browser
Restart your Chrome browser if it has been running continuously for a long time. To do this, enter the following in the address bar:
chrome : // restart
This command will restart Chrome without closing your tabs.
Tip: Bookmark this page to quickly speed up your Chrome browser when you need it.
Disable hardware acceleration
Disabling the hardware acceleration feature can speed up your browser significantly. For this:
- In the browser window, click on the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings> Advanced> System .
- Uncheck the toggle next to Use hardware acceleration (if available) .
Remove system junk on Mac
Browser data accumulates and slows down over time. The system is clogged with temporary files, corrupted files, and cache data.
If you regularly delete this data, you will improve system performance. This can be easily done with the CleanMyMac X program. It has a special tool for finding and removing system junk.
When you install the program, select the “System Junk” tab from the side menu. Then follow the instructions on the screen.
How to reduce battery consumption in Chrome
There are 4 reasons why Chrome is quickly draining your Mac’s battery:
- You have an older version of Chrome installed.
- Too many tabs open.
- Unnecessary processes are running in the background.
- Too much system junk has accumulated.
For all these reasons, the Chrome browser starts to run slower and uses more battery power. Now let’s talk about how to fix them.
This sounds obvious, but many people are using an older version of the browser without knowing that a newer version is available. Here’s how to check for an update:
- In the Chrome window, click the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- If an update is available, you will see a green, orange, or red icon. If not, then you have the latest available browser version installed.
- If there is an icon, click Update Google Chrome.
- After that click Restart.
Fun Fact : Statistics show that Chrome and Firefox users save their jobs 15% longer than Safari users.
Close unnecessary tabs
How many browser tabs do you have open right now? It might be worth closing unnecessary tabs that take up valuable memory.
The more tabs open in Chrome, the slower the browser works. Each tab consumes system resources, so closing unnecessary ones will speed up your browser.
Stop unnecessary processes
Chrome has a built-in Task Manager with which you can terminate unnecessary background processes and find the tabs that consume the most resources. You can sort them by memory consumption and close unnecessary ones.
- In the Chrome window, click the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select More Tools> Task Manager .
- At the top, click on the Memory consumed item to sort the processes.
- Select the ones you don’t need and click End Process .
Open websites faster
You can turn on page preloading to make Chrome open sites faster. When the feature is active, the browser preloads the pages that you open frequently.
- In the browser window, click the three dots icon.
- Select Settings> Privacy & Security .
- Now select the files cookie and other site data .
- Turn on the Allow page preloading option to improve browser and search speed .
With this feature, Chrome will run faster and consume less energy.
Find out what is consuming Mac RAM
CleanMyMac X has a tool that disables hidden background processes of programs. Not all programs can manually disable these processes.
- Launch the CleanMyMac X program.
- Select “Optimize” from the side menu.
- Find costly processes and turn them off.
Zoom consumes a lot of resources even in the background. Other programs can do this as well.