BQ Firmware Flash Tool 3.0
- About the application BQ Firmware Flash Tool
- Devices which support BQ Firmware Flash Tool
- Necessary resources
- Installing the application in Windows
- Unlocking the phone startup manager
- Flashing the device
About the application BQ Firmware Flash Tool
The application BQ Firmware Flash Tool is developed by BQ to allow any user to easily flash a mobile device.
This operation, also known as a hard reset, restores the device to its factory state and installs the latest version of the firmware available for your device directly from BQ’s servers.
The flashing process means that all data, music, photos, applications and settings stored on the device will be deleted. Before using the Flash Tool, you need to save any files you want to keep onto your computer, hard disk, cloud, etc.
Devices supported by BQ Firmware Flash Tool
The following devices support version 3.0 of the application:
- BQ Aquaris E5 4G
- BQ Aquaris X5 / BQ Aquaris X5 Cyanogen
- BQ Aquaris E5s
- BQ Aquaris X5 Plus
- BQ Aquaris M5
- BQ Aquaris M5.5
- BQ Aquaris U Plus
- BQ Aquaris U / U Lite
Below are the resources necessary to flash devices using the Flash Tool:
- Internet connection
- USB – micro USB cable
Compatible operating systems
Version 3.0 of the BQ Firmware Flash Tool has been tested with good results in operating systems Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 (in Windows 7 compatibility mode), Windows 10 (in Windows 7 compatibility mode) and Ubuntu 14.04. In other versions of Windows, the application also responds but the drivers may need to be updated manually.
Installing the application in Windows
Run the installation application corresponding to your system (32 or 64 bit) which you will find in the Windows folder of the file BQ Firmware Flash Tool.zip. As it is a .exe file, you may need administrator permission. The BQ Firmware Flash Tool Wizard will open automatically.
- Select the language and click Accept to
- Accept the terms of the license Click Next.
- The next step gives us the option to create an icon on the Make your selection and click Next.
- The wizard will inform you that it is ready to begin Click Install.
- The installation process can take a few Once completed, click Finish.
Unlocking the phone startup manager
For security reasons, your smartphone is preconfigured not to allow flashing. To complete the flashing process you first need to adjust some settings. More specifically, you need to unlock the phone startup manager. Below are the steps to follow for phones running the Android OS.
If the status of your device does not allow you to carry out the process laid out below (for example if the device doesn’t start up correctly, or because the touch function doesn’t respond) skip this step and go directly to the next section: Flashing the device.
- In Settings, go to Developer By default, this option is hidden in the menu, so you will probably have to unhide it. To do so, go to Settings and select About phone.
- Now go to Build Press Build number repeatedly to unlock Developer options.
- Developer options will now appear in Select it and access the menu.
- Enable the option OEM
Your phone is now ready to be flashed.
How To Use BQ Firmware Flash Tool To Flash BQ Device
The flashing process means that all data, music, photos, applications, and settings stored on the device will be deleted.
If you want to conserve any of the data stored on your device, you should save it somewhere before going any further.
- Run the application BQ Firmware Flash
2. Switch the device on in FastBoot To do this, first make sure the device is switched off. Simultaneously hold the power button and volume down button.
In the Aquaris M5.5 model, keep pressing and holding the Start button and Volume Up button at the same time. A menu displays. To move between options use the Volume Down button to select the option Reboot to bootloader and press the start button.
- Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable. The application will recognize the device, automatically detect its series number, and show it in the Click Connect to the device.
It is possible that the serial number of the Aquaris M5.5 is not detected properly causing an Unknown device message to be returned when the Connect device is pressed. Press Enter Serial Number and space will open in which the serial number, found on the back after the letters (S/N:), can be entered manually. Press Retry once entered.
- BQ Firmware Flash Tool will check the cloud for the latest version of the firmware available for the device connected and if the smartphone supports Flash (locked/ unlocked).
For security reasons, your smartphone may be preconfigured not to allow flashing. If so, the application will show the following message:
If for any reason your device has already been unlocked, the previous screen will not appear and you can omit step 5 of this manual and go straight to step 6.
- Click Unlock
There are now two possible scenarios, depending on whether the manual OEM unlocking was carried out as described in the section Unlocking the phone startup manager in this manual.
- 5a If the developer functions have been enabled on your smartphone and the unlock OEM option is activated, the flash process proceeds and the unlocking process This operation can take several minutes and your smartphone will automatically restart once or twice depending on the device. The application remains on standby when restarting.
For the Aquaris X5 Plus and Aquaris U line models, you need to confirm whether you wish to continue with the unlocking process on the screen using the volume keys to select Yes when the Unlock bootloader displays?
After each reboot, the device remains in normal mode. Without disconnecting the smartphone from your PC, turn the smartphone off and then in FastBoot mode turn it back on (see step 2). The application detects the device again and continues the process until the unlocking process is finished.
Once the unlocking process finishes, the application button enables allowing you to continue with the process. Press Continue.
The Aquaris X5 Plus and Aquaris U line models displays during 5 seconds a screen to select special development options when the unlocked device boots up. When this screen displays, DO NOT press any button since the booting process continues by itself.
- 5b If the status of your device has not allowed you to perform manual OEM unlocking, the application will request an unlock
To obtain this code, contact BQ Support at bq.com/support
- Once the device is unlocked, two flash options display:
- 6a If you press Flash latest firmware the latest version downloaded to your device is checked and if it is not the latest, will automatically initiate downloading the new firmware and start the
- 6b If you click Flash other firmware a new window displays in which you can select the firmware to flash (.zip extension) and click “Flash Firmware” to start the
- Once the flash process has started, the operation could last several minutes since it is the flashing system phase that takes the longest.
8. Once the process is over, the application will inform you of the result of the flashing.
9. The device will automatically restart with the new version of the firmware installed and The first time the device restarts after the installation of the new firmware will take slightly longer than usual.