Rollback iPhone from iOS 16: The first developer beta of iOS 16 is now available . If you installed it, but due to bugs or for some other reason want to return to a stable version of the system, we will help you with this. Here’s how to downgrade from iOS 16 to iOS 15.5.
Updated: On September 7, the iPhone 14 presentation will take place and very soon after it ends, the official release of iOS 16 will take place, so if you are using the beta version of iOS 16, then it is not at all necessary to roll back to iOS 15, you can simply delete the beta profile.
To delete only the iOS 16 profile and not restore the device to iOS 15, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > VPN & device management, select iOS 16 beta Software Profile and delete it.
Sometimes beta versions of the system contain very serious problems. In this case, rolling back iOS saves. The rollback process is quite simple, but there are a few nuances. For example, the rollback itself is easy to do, but restoring data from a copy is not. If the backup was already created with iOS 16, you’re out of luck, because you won’t be able to restore your data after a rollback.
Also, if you’ve installed watchOS 9 on your Apple Watch, it’s important to note that you won’t be able to use it with your iPhone after you revert to iOS 15. You can’t roll back your Apple Watch to a previous version of watchOS on your own—if you want to uninstall watchOS 9, you will have to send your watch to Apple or an authorized service center.
How to Rollback iPhone from iOS 16
- Launch Finder on your Mac or iTunes on Windows.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac using a Lightning cable.
- Put your device into recovery mode. How you enter recovery mode depends on your device, so check the instructions below to find your model. Apple also provides more information about recovery mode in this support article.
- A dialog box will appear asking if you want to restore your device. Click the Restore button to wipe your device and install the latest public version of iOS or iPadOS.
- Wait for the recovery process to complete.
Instructions for Entering Recovery Mode
- iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button . Press and quickly release the volume down button . Press and hold the top button until the device starts to reboot. Keep holding the top button until the device enters recovery mode.
- iPhone 8 and later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button . Press and quickly release the volume down button . Then press and hold the side button until the recovery mode screen appears.